The fact that a slew of Rabindranath Tagore’s stories have been adapted into films by different cinemas in the world is a proof that he was one of the greatest writers we have ever known. But do you know these facts about him?
1. He is perhaps the only individual to have written the National Anthem of two countries, India’s Jana Gana Mana and Bangladesh’s Amaar Shonar Bangla. In fact, his Bengali song, was also adapted and used by Sri Lanka as their national anthem.
2. Rabindranath was the youngest among 13 siblings and was home schooled by his elder brother.
3. He met Albert Einstien 4 times and they bonded over love for music, among other things.
4. Tagore was awarded with the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913 and in 2004; the prize was stolen from the safety vault of Visva-Bharati University.
5. He was the man who conferred the title of ‘Mahatma’ to Mahatma Gandhi.
6. He was perhaps one of the first poets to blend spirituality with romance. Now isn’t that amazing?
7. He took up drawing and painting at the age of 60. Isn’t that inspiring?
Subscribe for our weekly newsletter